Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 9... Curves ahead #31days

Tuesday was a perfect example of the types of detours I have learned to just "go with".  I had a plan for the day.  It was good.  It was productive. It was a tad busy but manageable.

What is usually a two hour doctor's appointment (our long visit) turned into a four hour one.  To complicate the day more we squeezed in another appointment just before it to "make sure things were ok".  All of this led to an overly silly and tired girl and an unprepared mom.

I am usually VERY prepared.  Tuesday I was not.  I had to make some quick plans THEN navigate traffic for an hour and a half.  (I don't particularly like traffic and had scheduled a midday appointment to miss the traffic.)  Dinner was "take out" and taken with us to a school meeting.

My "to do's" didn't get done but that is ok.  Tuesday I did what I needed to do.  Over the past 11 years detour days like this have ended in doctor's appointments.  Some have ended in the hospital.  Some have ended cuddling at home on the couch watching movies.

I like to stick to a plan.  I have gotten better at changing a plan.  When our days got derailed a lot I tended to stay home and I didn't get involved in our community where it was important to attend meetings like today.  Staying home made it easier to navigate these curves.

I'm getting better in the way I mange the unexpected curves.   Some days are like that.  God changes my plans for me.  The bigger challenge I am finding is to pay attention to the scenery on these curves.  I get pretty stressed navigating and steering and I forget to look around and enjoy the view.  This time I saw my daughter as a growing young lady.  She was no longer a baby or a toddler that needed to be entertained.  She was no longer the little girl with a big bag of activities to keep her busy.  I didn't have to give any pep talks about being brave.  I just got to hang out with her.  I got to be with her as she kept cracking jokes that only the room full of student doctors decided to laugh at while the rest of us were chatting.  I got to coach her to respond honestly to the doctors and begin the journey of advocating for herself.

I imagine there are many more curves ahead for us.  I hope I remember to look around a little more and check out the sites along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment