Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 14... "I brought you your pants!" #31days

Today I am struggling with what to write.  I have started many different posts but none are right.

I have decided to tell you a funny story.  I'm sure I have learned something from this and it still makes me laugh....

This was probably Alex's third hospital stay.  I KNOW it was cold, like February.  We had gone to our large children's hospital and they had done a nice job of getting her iv running quickly.  I'm pretty sure this adventure had started in the middle of the night.  When we left the house I had thrown on sweats and taken off.

It took an exceptionally long time to get admitted to a room that time. I do not remember how long we were in a holding area but it was almost 24 hours I think. 

My husbands roll is usually to bring us a "list of needed items". He gathered them and fought his way across traffic with the goods. By this point I was in desperate need of a shower, clean clothes and sleep. When he got there there were no pajama pants but dress pants!!!!  

I don't think I was particularly understanding or nice. I think there were tears too. I really needed sleep and fresh clothes!!!!

In the end he did end up making the sacrifice to go my pajama pants.  It was a welcome act of kindness that even 10 years later is remembered.  Often when I ask him for a favor his reply is "I  brought you your pants!".  Usually there is a groan by me and a smile by him.  It is the silly, sometimes frustrating little moments that seem to build into this adventure.  I was so thankful for the pants that night.  I'm thankful for the many trips he brings us "stuff" to the hospital when we get bored or need something.  I'm thankful that he is moving along crazy journey with me.  And no, "I brought your pants" is not an acceptable excuse for getting out of doing your wife a favor.  It is a fun memory of difficult times and mile markers along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment