Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Day 23... God prepared in advance #31days

Raising a daughter with an uncertain future has changed my perspective of the future.  It is hard to know how to encourage her to prepare for the future.

Of course we are preparing her for a future.  We have every reason to hope that God is going to continue to help her live a complete and wonderful life.  We just don't know what that is suppose to look like.

As her parents we want to decide her future for her.  We want to guide her into pursuits that will be "safe".  The truth is this may not be what God's ideas are for her future.

Ephesians 2:10 says "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

I am drawn to the phrase "which God prepared in advance for us to do".  I like the idea that God has already prepared work for her to do in advance.  I have said from early in this journey that He must have a mighty plan for this kid.  I have seen it.  I have even gotten to be a part of it.

Because of Alex I have had people come and ask me to pray for them.  Because of Alex I have had the privilege to sit next to someone as they made that step to trust the Lord for eternity.  Because of Alex I have prayed for people for 10 years.  Because of Alex I have had the opportunity to encourage people who work hard in usually thankless jobs.

I watch as Alex is drawn into the hearts of new people.  People are drawn to her.  They adore her.  God has put something almost magical into her personality that allows her and her story to touch lives.



We put the Ephesians verse on the eighth stone.  As a one-year old it represented a trust that God would do mighty things through her and because of her.  As an eleven year old it helps me to trust the Lord for the directions we encourage her to pursue.  I hope that I will cling to this as she develops wings of independence and begins to follow the journey God has for her as she gets older.  Of course I'll be near by cheering her on but I won't be the one making the decisions.  I'll be the one trusting God's plan for her life.

The truth is this is the way I should parent both girls.  They are both His workmanship.  They are both loved by Him and His plans are what they should pursue.  I think I am a better parent because of this double check for the girls.  I have to trust their todays and their tomorrows into His mighty and capable hands.  I also get a front row seat for their journeys.  How cool is that??!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment