Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 7 - Good #31Days

The truth is my life really isn't simple.  I am the mom to a medically fragile daughter.  There have been a myriad of days over the past 12+ years.  Some very hard.  Some amazingly good.  Some long.  Some have flown by.  They all add together and make for the life that I live.

I love being her mom.  She has transformed me in so many ways.  Much of what I wrote about last October 31 Days talks about that journey.

Today was her check up at her "smart doctor" (as we used to call him).  The appointment went well and routine.  Most of these appointments have gone that way.  Today I did my job well.  I was prepared.  I asked the questions I intended to.  We updated them on the past year.

She and I make going to the doctor an event.  She always has her "things" with her that will entertain her and distract her from the events of the visit (labs).  I was looking at her as we waited today and realized that our routines have made these complicated and concerning visits pretty simple.  I remember being the mom of a new born wondering how I would ever do this alone.  I watched another mom of a small infant manage all of her stuff (stroller, blankets, bottles, paperwork) and realized how far I have come.

I may not be making a very big mark on the world at large but what I do as her mom is important.  Reviewing the events of the past 12 years I realize the efforts we have gone through and many of the sacrifices we have chosen to make have probably made a real difference to the quality of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment