Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 6 (late again) Simple Tradition #31Days

Tradition.  One of our family traditions is to attend our state fair every year.  Every school student receives a free ticket and they give the kids a day off from school.

I remember going with my dad as a girl.  It was fun.  I rode a few rides, played a few games, saw the animals, ate a few fried foods and, took a picture with Big Tex...  it was fun.

As a family we have been going since our girls were school-aged.  We ride a few rides, play a few games, see some animals and shows, eat some fair foods, and take our picture with Big Tex.  It is FUN.

We are tired after such a full day but we always go.  We always look forward to this day.

Yesterday was another such day.  There is a sweet simple rhythm to going every year.  I noticed yesterday that my girls still seem to love being with our family.  Somehow our family traditions have become things we can count on.  We measure time with them too.  We remembered friends we had been with in the past.  We remembered what their favorite parts were when they were little.  We realized that the "scary" rides weren't scary but it were still fun to do together.

These simple traditions are precious to me.  Toward the end of the day my husband leaned over and said, "we have two more."  He meant that we have two more "fair days" before our oldest is a college student and our tradition will change.  Usually this makes me sad but today I'm choosing to simply enjoy this simple tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment